Random nerdiness

I’m going to have to blame Cymre for posting this Nerdscore test this morning… and so I really just had to find out my score too.

I am nerdier than 91% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get nerdy images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

I think My maths degree has inflated my score :(

I’m more than just my maths degree! Only today I did engaged in an email argument with an old friend who suggested that ‘debunk’ classified as a ‘word that only exists in prefixed form’. Like these. A nice little trail of searches later, I discovered that ‘debunk’ means ‘to remove the bunk’ from something, and ‘bunk’ in this sense comes from ‘bunkum’ which now means ‘nonsense’. ‘Bunkum’ itself used to have a more specific meaning about flowery but meaningless political statements, based on one given to the member for Buncombe in 1847.

So bunkum does exist in an unprefixed form, and I win the Internet.

Maybe it’s not just my Maths degree the nerd test picked up.

This entry was posted in random and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Random nerdiness

1. Cymre says:

You’re welcome! :P

2. Malevica says:

I’m impressed I managed to recognise James Clerk Maxwell. I knew that Physics Master’s would come in useful for something eventually! ;-)

I managed a mildly scary 99%, for the record. Mostly from knowing my science and programming languages, having no social life and being practically joined at the hip to my computer.

Thanks for sharing, it was a fun diversion!

• Glow Glow says:

Yay, Malevica, a fellow physics nerd, hurrah!
      My lack of programming definitely lowered my nerdiness, I only dabble in html/css land which does not count by a long way. Last time I tried any serious programming was first year uni, and it didn’t go so well. Stuck to physics and maths, which were the things I actually enjoyed/cared about.
      And I don’t watch TV, so missed lots of the tv sci fi questions too. Ah well, need some more 60s/70s/80s sci fi novels questions and I’d be flying :-)
      And it was most certainly a nice bit of fun, happy to blame Cymre for that :-)

3. navimie says:

Lol Yay! From a fellow supreme nerd :)
    /hug for geek day

4. Saya says:

oooo I only got 81% XD I think me running away from math and physics in grad school totally showed. Such a fun test though – thanks for sharing! XD

5. Deppi says:

90. And I wouldn’t know Maths or Physics if they bit me. I thought for sure I would only be slightly nerdy. Maybe my thighs are fatter than I think too. It’s all very worrying.

• Glow Glow says:

Oh Deppi. You are too perfect. Too, too perfect. I have the biggest grin now and need to find you on WoW and hug you :-D